At the Cité des sciences
Some 120,000 documents – books, magazines, films, CD-ROMs and DVDs – can be consulted in the Cité's multimedia library. They cover a wide range of fields :
- medicine and health
- life and earth sciences: biology, zoology, geology, etc.
- exact and applied sciences: mathematics, physics, chemistry, astronomy, etc.
- industrial technology: computing, civil engineering, transport, energy, etc.
- jobs and professional life: careers information, starting a company, etc.
- leisure and home activities: gardening, DIY, cooking, etc.
- history, sociology, philosophy, didactics and museology of science and technology
- science and society: human, social, philosophical and political issues linked to advances in science.
Many documents may be borrowed with the Cité-pass (valid one year).
You can watch over 3,000 films on the library's 60 terminals. They include :
- fiction films
- animated films
- archive films.
You can consult 350 CD-ROMs or self-training websites to learn more in a vast range of subjects, such as :
- basic principles of maths
- searching for information on the web
- creating a website.
In addition to its document collection, the library operates a portal providing :
- document files
- information on recommended books, magazines, websites, etc.
Scientifica digital library
The Cité's library is digitizing its collection of pioneering science books (works in French published between the late 18th century and the early 20th century).
For young visitors
The library's Jeunesse section contains publications on science and technology designed for children under 14.
Other free services
The Cité's library also runs several free services where you can obtain not only documentation but also personal advice and assistance.
- a vocational guidance centre (Cité des Métiers) for information on jobs and careers
- a health information centre (Cité de la Santé) for answers to all health questions
- the Digital Forum (Carrefour numérique) where you can learn about IT and the Internet
- the Louis-Braille room, equipped for visually impaired visitors.